June 15, 2023
What Skills Does a Rigger Need?
Riggers are responsible for attaching loads to cranes using cables, hooks and other equipment.
Each load requires calculations and an understanding of physics, balance and weight distribution to be safely rigged.
What are some of the skills and interests a rigger should have to set them up for success?
- Being Active: Rigging work involves some physical activity and the use of tools like hooks and spreader bars.
- Being Outside: Riggers primarily work outside or in outdoor conditions.
- Detail-Oriented: Precision is important in rigging work.
- Math & Numbers: Riggers use calculations to calculate loads.
- Teamwork: Riggers often work and collaborate with others on a team.
- Troubleshooting: Riggers often need to troubleshoot to identify problems and find solutions.
To learn more about careers as a rigger, check out our rigger career page.