September 8, 2022
What Skills Does an Ironworker Need?
Ironworkers install iron and steel girders, columns and support beams that provide a sturdy structure for large buildings.
Precision and focus are important skills for ironworkers, ensuring all structural elements are assembled correctly and safely.
What are some of the skills and interests an ironworker should have to set them up for success?
- Being Active: Ironwork involves some physical activity and the use of tools like hammers and pliers.
- Being Outside: Ironworkers primarily work outside or in outdoor conditions.
- Climbing & Heights: Ironworkers frequently work at heights.
- Detail-Oriented: Precision is important in ironwork.
- Math & Numbers: Ironworkers use calculations to successfully complete installations and measure material angles.
- Teamwork: Ironworkers often work and collaborate with others on a team.
To learn more about careers as an ironworker, check out our ironworker career page.